Surround sound multimedia speaker


WHAT IS IT: Boston Acoustics TVee One TV Speaker Base 

NEW, FUTURE or RETRO: Very new

PREVIEW or REVIEW: review

HOW GOOD IT IS: I looked for something like this recently and no matter where I searched for I couldn't find one. Sure there were plenty of sound bars but not something intended to put a full-size LED TV on and get all of the benefits and effects of a sound bar.

When I saw the TVee One I was immediately intrigued. I have a Boston Acoustics 3-way system connected to my desktop computer that delivers clear, solid sound that impresses everyone who hears it. I hoped for and expected the same quality from this sound base to use it in my den, not with a TV but with my internet radio.

This speaker worker like a champ. The base is sturdy enough to hold up to about a 60" TV if you use it as it was designed. It is low profile and tastefully designed and looks very attractive sitting on the low-profile bookcases in my den.

And the sound is glorious. Boston Acoustics knows how to envelop the room with the effect of a multi-channel audio system. For those, like me, who often refer to Bose speakers as delivering miraculous sound from a small box, these are just as impressive but more natural sounding than Bose's highly processed sound field. Specifically the bass is clean and solid way down low, the highs are bright and sparkling and the mid-range is perfect for dialog and musical vocals.

Here are some features to be aware of:

  • There is a row of control buttons along the upper-front panel that double as helpful status lights depending on how many and which of them are illuminated at any given time (they self-dim after a few seconds so as not to distract from watching TV)
  • There is a 5-way built-in equalizer for dialog, music, music wide, movie and movie wide which have a significant effect on the stereo or surround sound effect. The included remote control also has a "night" mode to limit the dynamic range for late night listening.
  • The speaker has an easy to set up Bluetooth feature built in, a great way to play music from a smartphone or tablet.
  • There are two types of optical audio inputs plus an analog input on the rear. The speaker automatically selects the appropriate input and turns itself on and off with the TV (which you can override). All of the necessary cables are included in the box as well as a full-function remote control
  • The TVee One has a built-in processor to "teach" virtually any type of remote control the various functions, it's as simple as pushing a button

Hookup is simple and it looks good, no annoying gaudy logos, just a small subtle nameplate. That coupled with unexpectedly good sound for a reasonable price earns a positive rating.

SIMILAR TO: I have not been able to find anything similar from any brand-name manufacturer.  Note that there ARE many brands and models of "sound bars" which work in an almost identical way but they are intended for wall-mounted TV's. What makes this unique and special is that it is intended to be used with TV's on their own stand.

DO YOU NEED IT: For a multi-channel home entertainment system? No. For the flat screen TV in your bedroom or den? It's an ideal solution to get big, room enveloping sound without a complicated amplifier and running wires all over the room

HOW IT IMPACTS YOU: Once again there comes an industry first that will likely lead the way to a new genre of products. It's one of those things for people who like to be first in owning new technology.

COMMENTS: I have this in my den connected to the Marantz internet radio that I reviewed earlier. It sits in the corner diagonally across from my favorite chair. I use it to listen to news in the morning, then tune to relaxing music while I am reading or just kicking back. I often watch You Tube videos or listen to music on my phone or iPad and what I love about the speaker is it pairs automatically and turns its own power on as soon as it senses connection with my device so I can listen (through Bluetooth) in full fidelity sound.

TECH TOY WIZARD RATING:    5/5

WEBSITE:  Boston Acoustics website

BUYING OPTIONS:  Buy it at Amazon

SEE IT IN MOTION:  Coming soon

Share this with your Facebook friends by clicking  f   in the comments box below

No comments:

Post a Comment