Analog to Digital Audio Converter Adapter




WHAT IS IT: Converts an analog stereo audio signal to an optical signal

NEW, FUTURE or RETRO: Current

PREVIEW or REVIEW: Review

HOW GOOD IT IS: When I did a Google search looking for a way to convert the analog output to an optical signal that I could send 100' to another room in my house I came up with only a few options, none less than $50 with prices ranging up to $3000. I was highly skeptical that something that I found on Amazon for $15 could possibly work. In fact some of the reviews said it doesn't. Here's what I needed ... my main 7.1 home entertainment system is in my living room. In an adjacent den I have a separate network received that also feeds my outdoor pool area and patio entertainment area. There are some components hooked to the main system that I would like to feed to the outdoor area and logically it makes sense to have them controlled by the receiver in the den (which has the benefit that I can control it remotely using my smartphone or iPad). There is no way to run wires between the main system and the den system inside the house. The most efficient way would be to use a Toslink optical cable between the two. Ideally I could connect from the digital output of the main system to the digital input of the network receiver but there was a hitch. The digital output of the main system ONLY outputs signals that are originally digital, like from my TiVo, BluRay player or CD player but not signals that originate in analog format. The solution was to connect to the "tape out" of the main system which outputs any and everything that I have connected. That's where an analog-to-digital converter comes in.

HOW WELL DOES IT WORK: In a word it works perfectly. I was not prepared to expect something as small as this adapter is. It comes with a 5V power adapter and has a pair of RCA analog input jacks and both a Toslink and a coaxial digital output (which can be used simultaneously). I simply plugged it in, ran the cable and now anything I can play on the main system can now be selected using the digital input on the network receiver. Despite some advice I've seen to the contrary there is no loss of quality over the 100' run and the single thin digital cable was easy to run around the outside perimeter of my house.

SIMILAR TO: There are numerous similar units being sold at Amazon for about the same price. Since none of them carry an established brand name it can be assumed they will all do the same job.

DO YOU NEED IT: Running a thin digital cable a long distance is certainly easier than running multiple conductor cables and there is less possibility of degradation of audio quality. If you have that sort of need, then yes, this would be a valid option.

HOW IT IMPACTS YOU: Since you are starting with an analog signal, converting it to digital won't improve it. It will just allow for an easier more convenient cable run.

COMMENTS: For the price it is well made, the entire thing is made of a decent quality of metal.

TECH TOY WIZARD RATING:   5/5

WEBSITE:  Amazon

BUYING OPTIONS:  Buy it at Amazon

SEE IT IN MOTION:  Coming soon

Share this with your Facebook friends by clicking  f   in the comments box below

No comments:

Post a Comment